Well I have had my best Christmas present already this year.
Really, I have. And it didn’t come from Target, or even Best Buy , J
It came in a white No 10 envelope, with an unfamiliar address. With the first line of the letter inside, my tears began to flow, and I knew I held the Christmas joy that I have been struggling to find, in my very hands.
My best friend and I have known each other since I was 12 years old. Our birthdays are a year and 17 days apart, we both have daughters that are three weeks apart. We have been through a major chunk of our lives together. Much of who I am, and memories that I have and hold dear, are tied to her.
But three years ago, she made some choices that I was uncomfortable with. And still am.
Luckily, they have worked out for her in an amazing way. But I was unable to hold my tongue, or support her in that decision. She was deeply hurt, and cut me out of her life.
I understand. Really I do. Doesn’t change my opinion, but I understand. I am deeply thankful that it worked out, and she is so happy, she totally deserves that.
Over the past three years, I have thought about her SO much. There is just way too much history to not think of her, never mind the pictures of she and her family that wait to be scrapped because I find it just too painful. I think of her a lot and miss her. Just the other day I saw something on the internet and thought, “Oh man I gotta tell….” It just doesn’t go away, that connection.
Just last week at lunch my sister in law asked me if I ever hear from my friend, and tears filled my eyes when I had to say no.
Well I guess by now you have figured out what my Christmas gift is, a letter from my best friend saying basically “Let’s let all that stuff go, I miss you.”
I have missed a lot in the last three years. A marriage, a new step son, a graduation, and a death. Huge milestones in her life. Can we move on from here? I honestly don’t know, but I hope so.
And then it all kind of came to me. She is reaching out to me with a gift, the gift of our friendship, that many would say I don’t deserve. Sounds like a familiar story to me:
A Gift given freely that is not deserved, but is ours from a loving Heavenly Father, all we have to do is accept it.
I hope you all know this kind of Joy this holiday season.Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Wednesday, December 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Wow, reading this brought tears to my eyes! What a wonderful gift of the opportunity to reconnect. I took a risk with my very best friend once by telling her I thought she was making a poor decision, and she very easily could have turned her back on me, but thankfully she didn't. I can't even imagine how hard the past couple of years have been for you.
Take the gift that has been given and try to move forward. The past is the past, and we just have the present!
I'm happy for you! :)
Hun, you've obviously been on her mind as much as she has been on yours. Forgive and forget, right? Let bygones be bygones? Take time and pray and ask for God's guidance...and then be willing to accept this gift of love. I have a feeling you'll be glad you did. :)
HUGS!
Susan
I'm so thrilled for you Miss B! I'm so behind on everyone's lives what with this flu that has invaded our lives. K is feeling fine at the moment but got sick again last night too. I PRAY she can go to school tomorrow. R's dad arrives tomorrow for an almost 3-week visit! Wish me luck! LOL! I hope we can talk again regularly after the hustle-bustle of the holidays. Catch up with your friend, and enjoy every minute of it! Love ya! HUG!
What a cool Christmas gift! I'm so happy that you have a renewed friendship with someone so important to you!
this is such a praise, i rejoice with you!! Merry Christmas!
omg - Becki! This really makes me think about things I have gone through recently! I love you Becki and I'm sure this was very hard for you over the years; I can totally relate!
Post a Comment